October 8, 2012
- Weekly Macaroni!
- Cooking Corner with Young Chefs Academy
- piccadilly: modern play & creative cafe
- DreamWorks' How To Train Your Dragon Live Review
- COSI Family 4-Pack Ticket GIVEAWAY!
- Help Stop the Bullying & Let's Talk About It!
- Heads Up On Some Not-To-Miss Contests & Events!
- Columbus Fall Festivals & Halloween Happenings
- I want to fast forward to the weekend events!
- This Week's Picks
- This Week's Calendar
- Teen Scene
- Kids Eat FREE in Columbus!!
- Apple Orchards in Columbus& Central Ohio!
- Columbus & Central Ohio Pumpkin Patches
- Library Story Times
- Macaroni Links!
Tips for cooking with kids, a great recipe and a SUPER DISCOUNT offer!
Cooking with kids can be both fun and stress free! Many parents feel you have to make only sweet desserts, or fun themed foods with kids in the kitchen. Little Chef’s love to cook and chip in with healthy foods, too. Learning to chop, dice, and cut, are some of the best skills to get kids excited about veggies.
Try our Minestrone Soup recipe for a fun fall warm up (recipe is below)! Each of these vegetable are easy to cut with the aid of the right cutting utensil. We are huge fans of safety knives and plastic pizza cutters.
The plastic safety knife is great for tomatoes, zucchini and celery. Pizza cutters are great for little hands to cut peppers, herbs, and mushrooms. Carrots are bit trickier….those babies can fly across the room! We discovered a crinkle cutter is safe, fun and easy to use.
To purchase any of the above items or for more information about our classes, workshops and birthday parties, visit our website www.YoungChefsAcademy.com/centralohio.
6 cubes chicken bouillon
6 cups water
1 sprig each: fresh basil, oregano, and
1 ½ cups tomato, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup zucchini, thinly sliced
½ cup carrot, thinly sliced
½ cup bell pepper, chopped
½ cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 ½ cups pasta (your choice!)
2 tsp. dried basil
1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large stock pot, place water, bouillon cubes, and fresh herbs. For adult helper only: Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Wash all vegetables. Slice and chop using appropriated tools. Place all prepared vegetables into a large microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- For adult helper only: Steam vegetables in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove the herb sprigs from the stock pot. Add the steamed vegetables along with the pasta, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, pepper, garlic, and bay leaves.
- For adult helper only: Simmer soup for 20-25 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Grate the parmesan cheese. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese before serving.
Have your say
© 2013 Macaroni Kid, LLC